Humidity to the max! My very first words of grenadian exposure were, “holy humid.” I’ve been sweating the whole 48 hours we’ve been here...and I usually don’t sweat. Other than that life is good. Just kidding, I have no clothes. Out of all the bags to loose the airline lost MY bag with all My clothes in it. But then they found it in Miami, so we should be reunited any day now. Besides, I expected all of our bags to get lost and the majority made it perfectly fine, and I packed a few clothes in my carry on, so don’t feel bad for me. After arriving in Grenada we were the first to get through customs even though we sat at the back of the plane (Score)! Then, after getting our baggage, we didn’t have to pay duty on any of our items (another score). Then I repented for not telling them I hid a laptop, a camera, and an iPhone in my duffel. Our landlady and her husband took us home to our apartment where their son explained to Austin where the best bars are while they showed us around. A local member, Jemma, from church made us dinner. Cheers to Jemma for having no mercy when it comes to easing me into the island. She made a very Grenadian meal complete with fried plantains.
We went to bed with the AC on full blast partly because its so dang hot and partly to drown out the outdoor noises. yeah, at night the crickets and frogs are on full blast, and they make the weirdest noise, it sounds like a fire alarm. I couldn’t sleep because I was thinking about how different this place is. Aus kept saying, “I can’t believe how much this reminds me of my mission.” Which is kind of intimidating because he went to Ecuador where they don’t even have indoor plumbing sometimes and people get shot on the streets, and that just seems so hard. I think Grenada scares everyone a little until they get used to it though.
The next day, our first real day on the island, our friend from church, Tory, took us to get groceries and gave us a little tour of the island. Groceries are so expensive here! I thought that since I had read so many blogs about girls complaining how expensive things are that I had prepared my self. But then I spent $4 US on a can of black beans. We probably spent half our monthly budget in just one trip to the grocery store. We haven’t been to the beach to hang out yet but we stopped by real quick and felt the water. It was amazing, that’s where ill be the next two years.





I love the view from your porch. You will grow and learn so much from this. Hilary says hello.
ReplyDeleteHello!
ReplyDelete