Tuesday, August 11, 2015

So Much Grenada in so Little Time

Okay guys, I just have to post a lot because we are having so much fun before Austin starts classes! Once I'm a medschool widow I'll probably post like never. And there are so many pictures to share. So, since my last post we had a bonfire with all our tons of friends. Annnnd we bought a car! The golden junker turns out to be a 1994 White Toyota Carolla that was actually our mechanic's wife's car that he sold with or without her knowledge. So the bad news is that we already have a mechanic, haha you just have to with all these crappy, Grenadian cars. But, the good news is we got a pretty decent car for a good price. We don't have pictures yet because we don't actually have the car yet haha. Yes mom, I gave away $3500 with out any official documentation. Phill is totally trust worthy though and he signed my notebook saying I gave him money!

Even more exciting, Grenada's carnival (said with an emphasis on val for some reason) has been going on this weekend and we went to the parade today. Oh man, I'm going to start by saying that when we got home we wished to erase the last three hours of our memories! So many half naked, hip grinding, sweaty Grenadians. And sooo many people. Randy would have just loved this. Somehow I snuck my way right onto the street in front of the judges balcony so I got to see all the action. Lucky me..! Austin mostly stayed back where he didn't have to witness all the iniquity. There were so many groups of dancers and each group represented like an alcohol or a Grenadian brand, but mostly alcohol. They would run out do a little dance formation and then just grind on each other for like two minutes...it was disturbing. Not to mention that they were wearing like bikinis and very few of them were very fit. I tried to avert my eyes like 90% of the time. We stayed for like two hours of the carnival and didn't even get through half of it, aye aye ayyyye.

So here are some pictures. I tried to take pretty modest pictures of the carnival, but the last couple are raw material so you can feel our pain.

Bonfire at Secret Beach

We got caught in a down pour on our way to the gym

Parade Dancers


This girl is supposed to be a piƱa colada. She had my favorite costume in the parade.

All the head dresses were so eccentric


King of Sugar Cane

"Water"



"Water"

Colors of the Carnival

Authentic Grenada


Mardi Gras

Representing Jab Jab (representing freedom from slavery)



Jab King

Our Group


Judges

My favorite picture

Austin in all of his embarrassment

This guy had some serious booty shaking action going on




HA! i took this by accident but here is what the parade really looked like. (2 centimeters in front of my face)
It's been a long carnival weekend. Don't worry we made sure he was breathing.

ya

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I love the last pic... The natives probably cannot imagine why you would have that expression.

    ReplyDelete