Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Third World Worries

Let's start by talking about how dang frustrating the grocery stores are here. I originally decided to make a weekly meal plan so that I could avoid going to IGA (the grocery store) multiple times a week. So, I made this cute list with lots of options, because I knew IGA probably wouldn't have some ingredients that I needed. Turns out they didn't have like anything. No hamburger meet, no taco seasoning, no spiral noodles, no cheddar cheese, no onions, no lettuce. What the heck. Luckily I made a chicken dish, even without two essential ingredients, and it still tasted edible and we have left overs, but still. Anyways, I've been back to IGA, and other grocery stores, everyday and still no hamburger meet. Oh, ALSO, I'm supposed to feed four sister missionaries on Thursday (tomorrow), and I was planning on making taco salad... so we will probably be having spaghetti. I should also mention that our oven is broken so my mad cooking skills are restricted to the stove. Geez.

Since I'm already cramping y'alls style (Grenadian talk) with the tone of this blog post, now would be a good time to let you all know that I probably have Chikungunya. Yeah. It's a mosquito disease that causes fever and joint pain and headaches and other serious stuff. Which I've had all the above (Besides the joint pain, but its coming, I can feel it)! Its either that or a cold, but probably Chikungunya. I know its ridiculous, but its a real fear. If I had to go to the hospital here, man, I would probably get like five diseases just walking into the place. Lets not think about it.

Anyways, on a more fun note I have decided to live with my disease and not let it stop me from doing super cool things (kidding). Monday I went to the pool, always a good time. I have to admit though I mostly went for the chicken strips and fries. On Tuesday I went to Grand Anse Beach. It is so pretty! It wold probably be my favorite beach if there weren't a bazillion people and locals trying to sell me crap. And today (Wednesday) I went hiking to a waterfall in the rainforest. The hike is called Seven Sisters because there are seven waterfalls, but we only hiked to the first two. It was so cool being in the middle of the rainforest and hearing the wind shuffle all the leaves. There are so many weird sounds in the rainforest, the bugs are so loud and the bamboo is kind of creepy when it sways.

Austin started school this week and has been a very diligent student thus far. Heres his schedule: He wakes up at 7 AM and does scripture study. Then he goes to the gym at 8. I would usually go with him, but like I said, I'm currently suffering from Chikungunya. JK. But really, I haven't been feeling good lately. So then I pick him up at like 10 and he studies at home. And at 12:30 I take him to school where he goes to classes, Biochemistry, Anatomy, and Histology, from 1 to 5. Then I stop making dinner half way through and go pick him up. When we get home I usually yell at all the mosquitoes on our dinner and then hurry to finish and eat so we can get Ausboss back to school by like 6/6:30. And then he comes home at like 9 or 10. He also takes out an hour in the evening so that I can school him in cards. He studies a lot because he says there is just so much information that its like drinking from a firehose. I don't usually get bored..yet. I either find something to do or pass the time by furiously scratching all my hundreds of mosquito bites.

We still love it here! Everyone is so friendly and fun to hang out with. Come visit me!

First Day of  Medical School

Hanging our laundry. I have mini panic attacks whenever it rains because of this.

I just like this pic because this is what a lot of the locals' houses look like.

Bamboo in the forest

The trail to 7 sisters

This is for Johnny! they are making a ropes course/zip line. Hopefully it's done before we leave the island.

The two lower falls


Cherish and little Bridget. 

The picture doesn't do this view any justice.



No comments:

Post a Comment